7 Tips For Architects With Little Experience Applying For New Jobs

Stay learning

Read up and understand everything you can about the firms you are about to apply to. This will come in handy later when you write cover letters. (Personalized, yes) This is even more important if you’re in between jobs, and thinking of switching to a different field of work. Take some time, and learn new skills that might come in handy for the jobs you’re applying. Also decide where you want to send in online applications, and where you would like to either send an application by post or submit it in person.

Networking is KEY!

Networking and making connections with people working in the field you’re interested in is always beneficial. Talk to current employees of the offices you’re interested in, to know the current projects, their challenges and their strongholds. Don’t hesitate to ask for help, most professionals are more than happy to guide you.

Present your story as one of experience and motivation

If you took an unusually long break between two jobs, or between school and your first job, make sure you have a good reason for it. Let your story be one of invaluable experience, and make it one that represents your motivation behind looking for better opportunities.

Follow these tips WHILE you apply for jobs:

Personalize your CV/Resume and Portfolio and Cover Letter

Use the homework you did before and write individually motivated cover letters based on the office’s core work ethics. Highlight how you fulfil the criteria they have for the employees they hire, and how you can be the right fit in their team. This is also where you can use the information you get from networking from the firm’s current staff.

Sometimes its more than the money

Consider working free/for a small stipend for the first few months, and then ask for better pay. This probationary period is the norm for most firms who hire fresher graduates as of now.

Here are some thoughts we have all had, and things we have all heard in various discussions. They might seem unimportant, but they actually factor in a great deal when it comes to a job search in the current scenarios.

No experience means no job

One of the biggest lies that demotivate young job seekers is that there is no future without experience. What they don’t understand, that a job is NOT the only way to gain experience. You could consider taking up a part-time job, a personal project or an online/offline certificate course for a skill that might benefit your resume later.

Design skills are all you need to succeed”  

Yes, they’re important. But no, they don’t matter in the practical world, not as much as problem-solving, execution and management abilities. Architecture is only about 10% design. The remaining 90% is all about how to realise that design in real life. Architecture schooling always lays more emphasis on design and less on its execution. So keep that in mind when you apply for real-world jobs.

Make sure you keep up with us at Architect-USand make full use of all of the information and insight we have for you for free. Do NOT forget that we have helpful services for you ranging from Portfolio Plans to Career Advice.👌 Our Selection Committee of architects and designers with 10+ years of experience love to help architects and designers at any point of their career to push the industry forward together!


Add comment


Follow Us!

Don't lose anything about-us