J2 Visa

Learn about the option of a J2: allowing your spouse and/or children to accompany you to the USA while you are on J1.
If you are seeking to go the United States under the J-1 Visa Program and you have a spouse and/or children, it’s important that you know how the J-2 Visa works and how it can help bring your family along with you during the duration of your program. The J-2 Visa is a non-immigrant visa that is issued at an official U.S. embassy or consulate for the exchange visitors which accompany the J-1 holder in the United States. However, the eligibility of the J-2 Visa depends on what type of exchange program is being offered to the J-1 participant by the host company. The categories of exchange that are not allowed are camp counselor, a secondary school student, summer work travel, or employed for housework or childcare. You also have to make sure that you check which program you are signing up for, because there are specific programs that do not allow for spouses and/or dependents to accompany the J-1 participant. Here at Architect-US we have had many candidates that have needed to issue the J-2 Visa for their spouse! So it is an option that is available for you! 1. Procedure The application procedure is the same as for the J-1 Visa applicant. The J-1 Visa holder must approve of the spouse and/or children that will accompany him/her and each issue the form DS-2019. This is the certificate of eligibility for exchange visitor (J-1) status, a form that we can provide. 2. Duration The J-2 Visa holder can stay in the United States as long as the J-1 Visa holder has a valid J-1 status. So, any changes in the status of the J-1 Visa, will also have to be made for the J-2 Visa. 3. Limitations If you are a prospective J-2 Visa holder, you should know that you are only able to apply for a work permit after your arrival to the United States. So make sure that you take that into consideration as well. You must obtain employment authorization from the Department of Homeland Security. Additionally, the salary earned by the J-2 cannot be used as a means to support the J-1 Visa holder. [activecampaign form=258]
What's a J2 Visa and who can apply for it? Let's look into the simple matter this together.
The J2 Visa is a non-immigrant visa issued for spouses and dependents (unmarried children under the age of 21) of J-1 exchange visitors who accompany or later join the J-1 holder in the United States. If you are wondering what's a J2 Visa, you must read these two points Who is eligible? This is completely dependent on the J1 visa holder's specific exchange program. Basically, the categories au pair, camp counseloraaa, secondary school student, and summer work travel do not permit J2 visas. Also, even though certain categories allow for spouses/dependents to accompany a J1 Visa holder, specific programs within the categories don't. How Can I Apply? Contact Architect-US to go through the application process! We will help you answer any questions and provide you with a seamless procedure that is the same as that for a primary visa applicant. In general, the sponsor must approve the accompaniment of the spouse and/or children who will each be issued their own Form DS-2019.
J2 Visa holders may seek employment only after obtaining an Employment Authorization Document from the Department of Homeland Security - US Citizenship and Immigration Services in order to be eligible to work.
Yes, the spouse and/or child/children of a J1 Visa holder can complete the SEVIS generated Form DS 2019 (to be approved by sponsor), prove that the J1 participant is complying with the J1 visa regulations and is maintaining the status, show a copy of the J1 Visa of the spouse / parent, prove their relationship to them and show sufficient funds (for covering all expenses in the US).
On J2 visa, you are allowed to: - Enter the U.S. along with your J1 spouse or parent, so you don't have to be apart while they are gaining professional experience in the United States of America. - Travel in and out of the USA while you are on J2 Visa status. Explore landmarks and culture of the States, but not only! - Study in the U.S. if that is what you wish to do. - Work in the U.S with proper authorization from USCIS.
Architect-US will sponsor their J2 Visa if you'd like to take them along for the adventure. We must approve your spouse / child in order to qualify them as eligible for the J2 Visa. They will be issued their own DS-2019 and the application procedure for a J2 Visa is similar to the J1 Visa. The spouse/child can apply for a J2 Visa, while the J1 participant is either in the process of applying for theirs or are already granted it and even in the USA already.
The J2 Visa is a type of non-immigrant visa. It allows dependants (spouses and/or unmarried children under 21 years old) of J1 Visa holders to also enter the United States of America and stay as long as the J1 participant's Program.